For the eighteenth time, the award ceremony of the Carpet Design Awards (CDA) will take place at DOMOTEX. Now the finalists of the internationally renowned competition for first-class carpet design have been determined!
Hanover. Under the direction of Jamie Metrick, Managing Director of Elte, a jury of international experts in the design and carpet industry selected the most convincing designs in eight categories. A total of 191 carpet designs were submitted worldwide for the Carpet Design Awards 2023. Of these, 24 submissions reached the final round of the competition.
Design, quality and craftsmanship
The coveted awards, which are presented in cooperation with the trade journals COVER and HALI, celebrate contemporary carpet design and reflect the innovations and trends in the industry. When selecting the finalists, the jury paid particular attention to the design, quality and exquisite craftsmanship of the handmade carpets. “What I like about the awards is that they encourage the best of the best to continue to be innovative and bring something new to the market every year,” reveals jury director Jamie Metrick and continues: “I was really impressed by the range and variety of candidates who made it into shortlist. There is a great mix of manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers and designers who are eligible for prices this year.” Carin Terins, also a member of this year’s CDA jury and purchasing and creative director at RugVista Group AB, was particularly pleased about the creativity and quality of the submissions: “That was not an easy decision! There are a lot of interesting designs and information to consider.” Three exclusive copies from eight categories each came to the final and will be shown throughout the DOMOTEX in Hall 2.
Honor for sustainability
The category “Sustainability Award” will be included for the first time in 2023. With the new award, the CDAs want to take into account the growing importance and demand for sustainable design and ethical carpet production. Carpet designer and jury member Nani Marquina supports the inclusion of the new category and states: “All of us who are committed to product design must keep an eye on sustainability. It has practically become an obligation, a necessity.” Since the existence of the competition, the categories have been constantly refined and adapted to the latest industry trends and values.
EUCA Award honors carpet importers
During the Carpet Design Awards, the European import trade for hand-knotted oriental carpets will also take place on the 15th. Awarded by the European Carpet Importers Association. The EUCA Award has been awarded since 2007 for outstanding achievements in this area.
Celebrate together again
All winners of the eight CDA competition categories as well as the EUCA Award will be awarded on the second day of the fair, the 13th. January 2023 at 6 p.m. in a festive setting on the exhibition floor of the Carpet Design Awards in Hall 2, Stand C34. For the first time since 2020, we can experience the ceremony of the Carpet Design Awards live again at the DOMOTEX in Hanover. We are happy to celebrate the most beautiful hand-knotted carpets together with everyone,” reports Sonia Wedell-Castellano, Global Director of DOMOTEX Events worldwide.
The finalists – who will win?
Category 1: Best design studio artist carpets | Original design in small edition by an artist or designer
- Lady in Rug, House of Rubber | Amsterdam (NL)
- Shore, Tania Johnson Design | Twickenham (UK)
- Grandma in Maria Lai: Legarsi alla montagna, Joias | Tortolì (IT)
Category 2: Best Design Superior | Modern designs with optimal material use
- Preeti Ammanan, Saraswati Global Pvt ltd | Jaipur (IN)
- Rainbow, Jaipur Rugs | Jaipur (IN)
- Ourika Valley, Bazar du Sud | Marrakech (MA)
Category 3: Best Design Deluxe | Modern designs with optimal material use
- Green Agate ltd., Ashtari Carpets bvba | Antwerp (BE)
- Hudson Black and White, Knots Rugs | London (UK)
- M/M (Paris) for TAN(China), TAN(China) | Beijing (CN)
Category 4: Best classic-modern design | New carpets that interpret classic designs in a modern way
- Kubla,onyx, New Moon Rugs | Wilmington (US)
- Hmong, Manglam Arts, Jaipur (IN)
- Talisman Hand-knotted, Wendy Morrison Design | Musselburgh (UK)
Category 5: Best flat fabric design | Original carpet design that uses flat weave technology
- Flow, Studio Potato, Istanbul (TR)
- Tulu, Manglam Arts, Jaipur (IN)
- Gondolas, Selam Carpet & Home | Istanbul (TR)
Category 6: Best collection | Contemporary-traditional or classic-modern collection with an overarching theme
- Supergraphics Collection, Cadry’s | Sydney (AU)
- Kangan Arora – Cosmic Check, FLOOR_STORY | London (UK)
- Trails Collection by Sebastian Herkner, M2Rugs | Hamburg (EN)
Category 7: Best room installation | Furnishing project or carpet installation with high personalization standards, documented by high-quality photos
- Emily Forgot – Modular (Amity), FLOOR_STORY | London (UK)
- Knots Rugs x Shelter, Knots Rugs | London (UK)
- One Hundred Birds, One Hundred Flowers, Wendy Morrison Design | Musselburgh (UK)
Category 8: Sustainability Award | A climate-friendly production taking ethical values into account
- Typewriter Collection, MUM’s | Helsinki (FI)
- Diamond Root Rug, Diamond Carpets | Agra (IN)
- Taufa, Jaipur Rugs | Jaipur (IN)
DOMOTEX | The World of Flooring
DOMOTEX 2023 will take place from the 12th to the 15th. January at the Hanover Exhibition Center.